Mission and History
Fishermen’s Hospital Mission
Mission Statement Fishermen’s Hospital is a non-profit community healthcare facility. We strive to continually improve the health status of our community, by providing high quality, cost effective health care, education and wellness services. Community well-being is our overriding goal and we strive to find new ways to keep the residents of our community healthy. We recognize the value of every person and are guided by our commitment to excellence.
History of Fishermen’s Hospital
The dream of Fishermen’s Hospital began in 1957 when a group of concerned citizens formed the Marathon Hospital Association, a nonprofit organization chartered by the State of Florida. Reorganization in 1959 converted the group to what is known as Fishermen’s Hospital. On March 25, 1961, ground breaking ceremonies were held under the chairmanship of Phil Sadowski. The combined efforts of the community were rewarded on August 23, 1962, when the building known as Fishermen’s Hospital was officially dedicated. The 36-bed health care facility admitted its first patient on September 3, 1962.
Since the first patient was admitted, the hospital has grown tremendously in size and services rendered to the community. In March of 1973, the hospital opened the West Wing, expanding the bed capacity to a 74-bed health care facility. The closing of the East Wing in 1984, changed the bed capacity to a total of 58. Six of the beds are ICU beds with the latest monitoring equipment. Telemetry capabilities are available at all beds in the West Wing.
In July 1986, the Board of Trustees of Fishermen’s Hospital signed a lease with Health Management Associates, Inc. (HMA). Together with the Board of Trustees, Medical Staff and Administration, HMA helped maintain Fishermen’s Hospital in its position at the forefront of technological care with the latest equipment and procedures.
In February 2010, Fishermen’s applied for and began operation as a Critical Access Hospital with our current capacity of 25 beds.
In July 2011, Fishermen’s Hospital came full circle and returned to a non-profit, community-owned status.
In November 2013, Fishermen’s Hospital began a Swing Bed program of 12 beds. The Swing Beds deliver rehabilitative therapies, attentive nursing care and medical supervision, to allow patients to gain the strength functionality, balance and range of motion they need to care for themselves with confidence.